Coronavirus Confirmed In Maryland | Pandemic Fears Grow | USA Beat
Coronavirus Confirmed In Maryland
Three positive cases of coronavirus confirmed in Maryland today. The individuals include a married couple in their seventies and an unrelated individual in their fifties all residing in Montgomery County.
The exact part of Montgomery County which these individuals reside has not yet been publicized. All three individuals contracted the virus during overseas travel.
Larry Hogan addressed the state with this update saying,
“While this news is serious… this is exactly what our state has actively and aggressively been preparing for, for many weeks now…. In order to further mobilize all state resources in response to this threat to public health, I have issued a proclamation declaring a state of emergency in Maryland”
Governor Hogan echoed that although coronavirus is serious, there is no reason to panic at this time. Preparedness is the key to dealing with a potential outbreak in the state.
Helping Halt Coronavirus
Coronavirus has reached epidemic levels for certain however in Wuhan, where the outbreak first occured, China has been very successful at slowing new infections considerably.
According to WHO(World Health Organization), there are a few common sense precautions you should take to help halt the spread of coronavirus.
- Wash your hands frequently and/or clean your hands with an alcohol based hand rub.
- Stay at least 3 feet away from anyone who is sneezing, coughing, or appears sick.
- Cover your mouth completely with a tissue or bent elbow if you are coughing or sneezing.
- If you feel ill, stay at home, along with anyone residing at home with you.
- Seek medical attention early, however call ahead before visiting the doctor or hospital for proper protocol.
Making sure children understand these common sense precautions is also vital.
The three individuals have been informed of their positive test results and are currently in quarantine in their Montgomery County homes.